Thursday, March 06, 2014

Cuernavaca: Outdoor Church

This morning Ruben and I went for a short walk around his neighbourhood.  It was one of the most special moments I've had with him.  When I visit them here, my interactions are often more with Tati than with Ruben.  But today during our walk, I felt a special fraternal connection with Ruben.  We talked about a number of topics, including economics, culture, lifestyles - he keeps suggesting that I buy a place in Tepoztlan and that he'll manage it for me - hikes, interests, and so on, but what surprised me today was his openness to talk a little about faith.

Maybe the pictures below prompted the direction of our conversation, who knows.  They're of an outdoor church, only the 2nd outdoor church I've ever visited, the first one being the cave-church in Egypt.  Today's church was the Parroquia San Felipe de Jesús.




When I saw the last picture (above) it dawned on me that we're now into the season of Lent.  Forty days of preparation for the biggest celebration of our faith.

After viewing the church and sitting on its pews for a few moments of reflection and prayer, Ruben and I continued our way through his neighbourhood.  Eventually we made it to one of the main streets lined by artiasan shops.  They sell all kinds of ceramics and pottery with typical colourful Mexican designs.  I bought a few items that I'll bring home (I'm a sucker for kitsch, I guess...).
 
Tomorrow: My time in this wonderful country is coming to an end.  Tomorrow around 9am I take a bus back to DF.  There I will spend 2 more days, before returning to the great white north on Monday morning.

No comments: