Monday, June 26, 2006

Köln: Roncalliplatz

Today was travel-day. Paul and I left Leipzig around 11am, met up with Christian at 3pm at the Frankfurt railstation, and then went on to Köln, arriving there here around 5pm.

After checking into our hostel (which by the way is a hell-hole, because it's hot, stuffy, and smokey; sidenote: Germans smoke like chimneys, which in Paul's words, "seems irrational considering Germans are known for their rationality") we walked around town a little.

We watched the England-Ecuador game. England won 1-0 on a nice goal by Beckhy-boy, but I still think this team's highly overrated.

Then we watched the Canadian Grand Prix at a coffee shop. It was cool to see F1 on a giant screen in, of all places, a coffee shop! I love it. More please.....!!! Too bad Villeneuve hit the wall. He can't seem to keep his car off the wall at his home Grand Prix.

Then in the evening we walked over to the Roncalliplatz WM Fanzone, where a giant Leinwand (big screen) had been setup, and we watched the Netherlands-Portugal game with a few other hundred people. As I predicted to my good buddy Paul and Chrsitian, the Dutch would self-destruct yet again, this time to the benefit of the Portuguese. Good for Portugal, they're a good team, so I'm happy for them.

Futbol am Roncalliplatz, besider the Kölner Dom















The "three amigos"















I'm starting to feel sick though. I think my travel-ambitions were too optimistic. I'm tired. My throat hurts like hell. I'm coughing up my lungs half the time (and I quit smoking 4+ years ago!). I can't swallow because it hurts too much.

Long live fútbol!!!

Today's WM scores:
England 1 - Ecuador 0
Portugal 1 - Netherlands 0

No comments: