Monday, June 05, 2006

Frankfurt: Ikonen-Museum, Liebfrauenkirche, Dom

I walked around today until my feet practically fell off. But it was a worthy walk nonetheless, because I took in some great sights.

Morning - the morning was disappointing. I meant to go to the Pfingsten (Pentecost) church service at the Dreikönigs-Kirche, but I slept in. I still haven't adjusted to the time-change. I woke up at 10am, to the sound of church bells all around me. I learned yesterday that all the city churches have an agreement to ring their bells in unison at 10am, 5pm, and 9pm, three times a year: Easter, Pentecost, and Christmas.

It was lovely waking up to the public "proclamation by bells" that indeed, the Holy Spirit has descended upon us, Jesus has ascended to heaven, and He sits at the right side of the Father. I like it. More please....

Afternoon - Having wasted the morning, I made very good use of the afternoon.

First I visited the Ikonen-Museum. This was a very small museum, not worth the €5 price of admission, but it had some interesting icons nonetheless. I arrived at 3pm, and joined a Führung (tour). The tour leader was Russian, very appropriate, because most of the icons were of Russian origin. I love icons. They transport us from this world to the world to come. They provide us with a "glimpse", a "peak" into heaven. I like it. More please....

A Russian Icon: Gottesmutter Glykophilousa (Mother of God, Glykophilousa)
Gottesmutter Glykophilousa

Ikonen Museum:
Ikonen Museum

After the Icons Museum I hit the Zentrum (downtown). I walked through the historic town centre, took in a Mass at the Liebfrauenkirche (Our Lady's Church), visited the peaceful Liebfrauen Klosterhof (Convent), walked around the Römerberg, the excavated Roman and Carolingian ruins, and the stunning Dom (dome), before finishing the day with a dinner at the (you guessed it ... ) Cafe Liebfrauenberg.

Liebfrauenkirche:
Liebfrauenkirche

Frankfurter Dom:
Frankfurter Dom

Cafe Liebfrauenberg:
Cafe Liebfrauenberg

I got home exhausted at around 9:30pm. I had a headache, my back hurt, and I felt like throwing up. But I didn't. I thought this was going to be easy, but I was wrong. Sightseeing's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.... ;)

No comments: