Thursday, June 15, 2006

Berlin: Charlottenhof, Brandenburger Tor

Another cooker. The weather's so hot, it's hard to believe I'm in Deutschland. This weather reminds me of my year spent in the Philippines - clothes sticking to your skin, sweat rolling down your cheeks. Or, maybe I'm just fat and unfit. After all, I haven't done any excercise since last summer, and to boot, I've been drinking beer the last two weeks here. I'll probably come home with a beer belly.

Today Paul & I visited the Charlottenhof. This is located on the grounds of the Chalottenschloß. I remember coming here eight years ago and viewing the beautifully manicured gardens. Back then I saw it on a very rainy day - so, seeing it today was very different. Here are a few pictures:








































In the evening we met up with Christian, here from Paraguay to enjoy the WM. We met at the main train station in Berlin at around 7. Immediately after meeting up, we went to the Brandenburger Tor area, where close to 300,000, that's right, over a quarter of a million fans gathered to watch the Deutschland - Poland game. The atmosphere was electric and intense - and this is still the first round; what will happen in later rounds? - but we were all quite tired, and in no mood to stand for the 5 hours to watch the game, and so we went to a restaurant to watch the game there.

The Germans know how to pull out a win when there's none to be had. They played a very good and disciplined game, but were unable to crack the Polish wall of defence. Until minute 89. The wall cracked. And Germany went crazy. Final score: Deutschland 1 - Poland 0.


















Today's WM scores:
Spain 4 - Ukraine 0
Tunisia 2 - Saudi Arabia 2
Deutschland 1 - Poland 0

No comments: