Thursday, July 06, 2006

Roma: Vaticano

Our home in Roma is a mere 15 minutes walk and metro ride from the Vatican, which enabled us to sleep in a little and leave at 9am to arrive at the Vatican in time for a 10:15 Audience with the Pope.

The first thing we saw upon arrival at the Vatican was Piazza San Pietro (St. Peter's Square):






















































When the Pope arrived and began speaking, it was almost anti-climactic. No big introductions or anything, just a few announcements in various languages. I found this good, since the physical surroundings, the grandiose buildings, the massive columns, the detailed statues, already provide enough pomp. A big introduction would've made me feel like priorities have somehow been mixed up. Then again, I'm Evangelical. I've learned to be suspicious of anything ceremonial or grandiose....

The Pope's message was thorougly gospel-centred. He talked about our need to develop a friendship with God through Jesus. The biblical story he used as an example of friendship with Jesus was unusual, but nevertheless appropriate: John, Jesus' favourite disciple (according to tradition), requests Jesus if he'll permit him to sit at his right hand in heaven. Of course, Jesus' response is "It's not for me to decide; it's up to my Father."

Most sermons on this passage probably point us in the direction of ensuring that we focus on the right issues in our relationship with God. In other words, we shouldn't be worried about where we'll sit once we meet God. That only shows how proud we are, and instead, we should focus on how to live more faithfully here, now.

Pope Benedict XVI used this story, however, to point out that living faithfully here and now is exactly what John was doing. His request came out of faithfulness, not pride. His request indicated a genuine friendship with Jesus. And this friendship that John enjoyed with Jesus, is exactly what we should be pursuing also.

Interesting. I need to think about that some more. I also need to read that passage again, and try to understand it with this point of view in mind.

His talk was short, maybe 8 minutes, and he spoke in at least 7 different languages: Latin (I think), Italian, German, English, French, English, and Polish. In terms of the crowd, there were about 5,000 present, and I found that even though many people in attendance were probably there simply out of curiousity, many came earnestly, seeking a genuine encounter with God.
































Enough about the Pope.

After the "audience" was done, Grace and I walked around the Vatican walls to the Musei Vaticani (Vatican Museums).

I did not take any picutres inside the museums. In many places pictures were not allowed, but also, much to my surprise and disappointment, a lot of art in the museums pertained more to Roman history than to the church. Most if not all the art was probably comissioned by the church, but it captured the history of Italy more-so than the history of the church. At least that's the impression I got.

I know that much of the history of the church intertwines with the history of the Roman Empire, but I'm not yet convinced that that's always a good thing. It's the whole relationship betwen religion-and-state thing that I'm probably uncomfortable with....

What I will say though is, that the Capella Sistina (Sistine Chapel) is magnificent. Pretty much every square centimeter of the chapel is covered with rich colours: the biblical story told in pictures. It was quite breathtaking. Now I know why Popes are elected here. And now I know why it sometimes takes them a long time to select a Pope. I'd want to hang out inside the chapel as long as possible if I could too!!!

Anyways, moving on.....

After visiting the musuem we still had one more place to visit: Basilica di San Pietro (Saint Peter's Basilica):






















































All I can say is WOW! Again, words like grandiose and magnificent come to mind when I think about how to describe the basilica. The beauty, the size, the colours, it was completely overwhelming.

The important question, however, is, did I meet God there? I'm not sure. To be sure, if I didn't meet God there it's because of my sinfulness and not his absence, but somehow, I think the multitude of tourists, the camera flashes, the noise of hundreds of people walking and talking, and especially the tour guides also have something to do with it. Is it fair to say that all the hype made it difficult to meet God?

There's something about having tours of a church that rubs me the wrong way. I noticed this in my travels in Germany already, where the constant influx of tourists disturbed the peace for those who were inside the church because they wanted to meet Jesus. Going out on a limb here, but I'm reminded of the story where Jesus drives people out of the temple for using it, well, not as a temple, but as a henhouse. Might we be doing the same thing?

In fairness, I did look at the schedule of mass at the basilica, and they do hold it regularly.

That was my experience at the Vaticano. Obviously, I have some things to work through. I'm overwhelmed. Confuseed. Challenged. In awe. I don't know how to feel about it. I need to think about it. I need to pray about it.

Lord have mercy on me, a wretched sinner. May this experience serve to draw me nearer to you, and may you use it to grow your kindgom.


Finally, yes, there was a World Cup game today.

Today's WM scores:
France 1 - Portugal 0

No comments: