Friday, July 07, 2006

Assisi: Chiesa Di Santa Maria Maggiore

I love Assisi, both, the saint, and the town!

The last chapter of my travels began this morning, when I said goodbye to Grace, Roma, and boarded the train to Assisi. I arrived in Assisi around 2pm, and immediately went to the Tourist Information Centre. I asked the lady working there where I could find a monastery or convent to stay for a few days. She replied that most monasteries are full this time of the year, so I shouldn't get up my hopes of staying in one, but she'd try.

She called one monastery: full.

She called another one, and to our surprise, they responded positively.

Thank you Lord!

I walked 5 minutes downhill around the main square, and arrived at the Casa di Accoglienza S. Elisabetta, a convent, and a house of hostpitality run by "consecrated lay women." Essentially, this is a place of rest, where one can stay for a few days in order to pray and reflect.
















I look forward to staying here for a few days. I'm tired of travelling. I've been running on fumes for awhile already, and need a rest. There is a lot of history to take in here, but I also hope to try to get a little rest. Assisi seems like the perfect place. After all, Saint Francis and Saint Claire are both known for their love of God's creation. Perhaps I too can take in some of the beauty of God's creation here.

Here's the view from my simple but complete room:















Storm coming in! Shortly after my arrival, a rainstorm - the first rain I've seen in Italia - ensued: Thick, heavy clouds. Fresh air. Lightning. Thunder. Rain.















When the storm arrived, I just stood at my balcony and watched. Then I lied down on my bed and took a nap.

I woke up a few hours later after the storm passed by, to the sound of church music permeating the air. The music was coming from the church right across the street (see the previous picture, top left hand corner). I got changed, ventured across the street, and enjoyed a few minutes of choral music at the Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore, before climbing the hill towards the centre of town for some dinner.

I look forward to the next few days. I have a good feeling about this place. The spirit of San Francesco, the spirit of Santa Chiara, and indeed, the Holy Spirit dwells here. I can feel Him.

Below, a video of Assisi, taken from the balcony of my casa.


2 comments:

Faith K said...

very nice.. how are you, Ed?

cub said...

i'm fine, thx for asking. happy to be back home. you know the saying .. there's no place like home...!!! :)