Monday, July 03, 2006

Roma: Trastevere

Arriving in Roma:















We arrived in Roma around 1pm today, and after taking the metro from Termini to Valle Aurelia, what should've been a 15 minute walk to our final destination, the Domus Aurelia, turned out to be 1 hour +.

Sweat rolling down my back.

Clothes sticking to my body.

Curse.

Thirst.

Cough cough.

Shoulda known better than to walk around in a big city without a map.

Regardless, we arrived - finally! - safe and sound, after calling the Domus by phone and asking for directions. The woman at the Domus was super. Thank God for kind and patient people.

After checking in, we both took a much needed and well-deserved siesta. At around 6 I got up, took a book, bought myself a lemonade, and parked myself downstairs under the palm tree in the front patio, before meeting up with Grace for dinner around 8.






























Many people have told me that the best place to do dinner in Roma is in a section of the city called Trastevere: the ambience is great, and the food is even better. So that's what we did. We went to Trastevere, to a restaurant called Alle Fratte di Trastevere, and damn, was the food ever good. I think it was the best meal I've had in a very long time. I had insalata mista with veal a la milanesa, and it was deeeeeeeeeeelicious! If I ever return to Rome, I will return to this place!

Here is a picture of what seemed to be the central square in Trastevere:

No comments: