Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Frankfurt: Finally! (Via Bologna)

What a long day it's been. What a nightmare it's been.

Upon arriving back at the train station in Firenze last night just before midnight, I found out that the train to Frankfurt via Milano and Zürich was sold out.

Damnit! What now?

I didn't want to spend the night at the train station, so I snuck on the train anyways, guilty conscience and all.

But it didn't take long before one of the train employees noticed me. At the next stop, Bologna, I was promptly told to get off. Well, at least they were polite. I, on the other hand, was embarrassed and .. well, pissed off. I want to get to Frankfurt!

Well, looking on the positive side, at least I saw the World Cup celebrations in Bologna. I mean, not only was I in Italia the night they won, but I saw the celebrations in two different cities! Who else can say that?

Bologna celebrations:


I ended up sleeping on the floor of the Bologna train station, until 5am, when I caught a train headed for Milano. It was a regional train, without air conditioning, and even at this time of the day it was still 25+C. A sorry, sleepless, sweaty ride.

At 8am I arrived in Milano.

I found a connection to Zürich not long afterwards, arriving there at noon.

At 1pm I caught a train to Basel, where I had to switch trains.

At 2pm I left Basel, arriving in Frankfurt at 5:58pm.

This was the worst day of my trip. Who figures.

I'm tired of traveling. I want to go home. I miss my bed.

No comments: