Sunday, July 09, 2006

Assisi: Eremo Delle Carceri, Monte Subasio

After the many great experiences I've already had in Europe this summer - World Cup, friends, church history, schnitzel, family, Bach, coffee, pasta, & gelato - it's hard to imagine that the best was left for last, but that is indeed the case. This is because today, finally, I could hike the outdoors to my heart's delight and content!

I hiked 16 kilometers: four kilometers to the Eremo delle Carceri (Hermitage); four more to the top of Mount Subasio, before turning around and retracing my steps all the way back to Assisi.

The Eremo is a hermitage, tucked away in the forest of Mount Subasio. This was the hermitage Saint Francis came to periodically to retire from his apostolic activity, in order to refresh and renew his soul through quiet contemplation, meditation, and prayer.
















As his following grew, he began bringing his fellowmen up here, and after his death, the Franciscans continued using the hermitage, growing it into a small cloister. Even today a few monks live here, and a few hermits live in some caves a short hike away from the Eremo.






























The hermitage is virtually self-sufficient, with its own vegetable garden (see garden on left side of next picture) . Oh yeah, the view is not bad either!
















I noticed that there were doves everywhere in the vicinity of the hermitage. This is quite appropriate, because Saint Francis was a lover of God's creation. There are stories of him calming wild wolves as well as singing with the birds of the air. He sometimes even preached to the birds! His love for creation is nowhere displayed more clearly than in The Canticle of Brother Sun.
















After visiting the Eremo I continued my hike, towards the top of Monte Subasio. Although much of the hike was along a paved road, it was nevertheless still interesting. There were a couple rest areas along the way, so I was able to sit down and eat a sandwich and get a drink of water. The weather was really hot too, probably around 38C, so resting in the shade was a must!
















Once on top, there was a great view of the Spoleto Valley and the hills of Umbria.












































It's becoming increasingly clear to me how much I enjoy, perhaps even need, the outdoors, the hills, the mountains, the open spaces. I enjoy living in the city, close to people and all kinds of convenient amenitites, but there's a part of me that yearns for the rugged, raw beauty of hills, mountains, and forests. It completely makes sense to me, why Jesus went into solitude to pray in the wilderness. Perhaps God awaits us in the quiet, empty spaces of his creation, rather than our own busy, noisy devices.

I say this because while on my hike today I really felt at home. I felt at peace, the quiet, inner kind of peace that we all long to have.

After finishing the hike, around 5pm, I returned to my casa, exhausted, yet invigorated. I grabbed some food later on for dinner, and in the evening watched the fĂștbol game between Deutschland and Portugal.

I feel at peace. Thank you Lord Jesus.

Today's WM scores:
Deutschland 3 - Portugal 1


No comments: