Thursday, May 18, 2006

Heading South?

Inevitably, after people find out my background (born and raised in South America, of German ethnicity, educated in Canada), and my current training for church ministry, they always ask the same question: "After you finish school, will you go back to South America and work in the church there?" And inevitably, my answer's always "No."

I was at my spiritual trainer's place tonight for dinner, and his wife asked me that same question again. But today, I answered "Maybe." Where did that come from? What an unusual answer to a rather intriguing question. She went on to explain that there's a sizeable Evangelical / Anglo-Catholic Anglican presence in places like Chile and Argentina.

Hmmm. Maybe I should give it some more serious thought. I like the idea of living in a place like Santiago, and I like the idea of living in Buenos Aires even more.

Then I can say things like "che pibe," or use the informal "vos," and to boot, Argentina has the most insanely beautiful (albeit snobby) women on earth too, so how could I go wrong? They drink mate and play beautiful futbol too, so no problems there.

There I could also do ecumenical work, bringing Catholics and Evangelicals closer together.

Maybe I ought-a rethink my strategy.

3 comments:

Faith K said...

beautiful thing to know that you're rethinking... :)

Faith K said...

I can't believe that you have advertisement here, Ed....

cub said...

oooops, you're right, i forgot about the annoying ad! thx...