Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Al-Watan

Al-Watan means "The Homeland" in Urdu, the language spoken in Pakistan.

It's also the name of one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver, located at Fraser and 45th. It's a small "hole in the wall", but the food is amazing, cheap, and the owner/manager/waiter/cashier (all the same person) is a super guy.

































Today I went there for lunch with James:















Oh and before I forget, their tea is amazing too. It's called the "Al-Watan Tea", and costs $1. Can you believe it? $1!!!! Next semester I'll have to go there and park myself for an afternoon and drink tea and study.

2 comments:

editor said...

Great to see ur blog. Chai peejiye aur aish kijiye. Also, nice to see Urdu blossoming abroad. I also saw Halal written in Urdu in the photo.
KH
Adnan

cub said...

Hi Adnan, thanks for your comment. Yes, there is a small but tight-knit community of Urdu-speaders here. They all hang out at Al-Watan. ;)

Yes, Halal is probably the only word printed in Urdu, right?

Peace, brother.