Thursday, August 18, 2005

Cars

Yesterday I dropped off my car to get some transmision work done on it, so while car-less, I've been hoofing it everywhere on foot - or bus, if necessary. Earlier today I walked to the bread store, as well as to the drug store, and a few other places. In all, I probably walked about 3 kilometers.

I did the same yesterday.

I'd like to get rid of my car. Walking and taking the bus is so good. It's a good way to stay (relatively) fit, and it's an even better way to stay 'in tune' with the city I live in. When I walk or take the bus, I can experience life in a way that I cannot experience when I drive, like:

* running into people going to/from work, shopping, or lunch;
* see what kind of books people read on the bus;
* read the latest pseudo-news on tabloid newspapers; or
* Smell the real city: cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, urine.

These are just a few scenarios which if I drive I could never experience. True, some of these things may be annoying to me, but how else can I connect with people? Connecting with someone while listening to the radio in the comforts of my car is .. well, impossible.

So, while it'd be quite difficult for me to get rid of my car right now, it's nevertheless a good goal; a goal which I'd like to work towards. One day, I hope to be able to get to everywhere I need to go either by walking or by taking the bus.

In the meantime .. I love my Volkswagen.

No comments: