Monday, May 16, 2005

Exhibit A

Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by my absent-mindedness:

8:15am - Go out to my car, to go to work. As I approach my car, I realize that my car insurance ran out yesterday. Problem: No insurance, no transportation to work. Damn!

8:25 - Walk to the nearest insurance agent to renew my insurance. Problem: they don't open until 9.

8:30 - Since I can't do anything until I get my insurance renewed, I go buy a coffee and wait for the office to open.

9 - Insurance agent opens. I go inside.

9:05 - Realize that I have to go through AirCare. Problem: I can't go through AirCare because I have no car insurance. Insurance agent assures me that it's ok, because I can buy a 1 day insurance. Cost: $32.

9:30 - Purchase a temporary insurance.

9:45 - Go through AirCare. Cost: $48.

10:30 - Arrive at work.

12:30pm - Go to mall to renew insurance. Cost: $1274.

2 - Regular day resumes.

Result: In the end, I lost three hours of work ($90), plus I had to buy a one day insurance which I otherwise would not have needed ($32). Therefore, the cost of absent-mindedness this morning: $122.

Solution: be ahead-minded. think. plan. use the numerous day planners lying around my apartment. sell the car!

No comments: