Thursday, April 14, 2005

Zizioulas, Gunton, Moltmann

Ever heard of them? I hadn't either .. until this semester.

Books

I'm using them as my main sources for my paper: "On the Trinity and Personhood." It's been so interesting reading them. Here's a bit of info about each of them:

Zizioulas - comes from the Greek Orthodox tradition: "The being of God is a relational being: without the concept of communion it would not be possible to speak of the being of God." Although it's a hard read, it's profound indeed. Definitely my favourite of the three.

Gunton - has great insight on the intertwining of theology and philosophy. He also has an amazing grasp of the history of philosophy and its influence - positive and negative - on the Christian faith. Unfortunately he passed away in 2002.

Moltmann - his books are dense .. what else can you expect from a Kraut (German). Stems from the Reform tradition and sympathizes with Liberation Theology. Focuses largely on the relational nature of God.

Research

None of these reads are "weekenders." (If you're going on vacation to Cuba .. don't bring these books with you.) It's taken me about three weeks to get through each of them.

No comments: