Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cuernavaca: A Daytrip to Tepoztlán

Another great day in México! Today Ruben, Tati, Juan, Jennifer and I piled into Ruben's Jetta and drove an hour east (towards Puebla) to Tepoztlán. From there, Ruben and I hiked up the Tepozteco mountain to view the remains of an ancient Aztec temple. When Jen, Sanjit and I visited México 2 years ago we also did the same hike, and that time I took lots of pictures (I didn't post them), but today I didn't.

While we hiked, Tati looked after some business affairs, while Jen and Juan wandered around town. For lunch, we stopped in at - where else - Los Colorines, a colourful restaurant located on the main street of the town. After lunch we also dropped in on the main church - the Parroquia de la Natividad, formely the Convento Dominico de Tepoztlán de la Natividad - a rather large church, considering the size of the town.

The Tepozteco:














Before and after the hike:














































Los Colorines:























































The Parroquia de la Natividad:








































One the things that intrigued me at this church was seeing the baptismal font at the entrance to the church, rather than at the back, where it is often placed nowadays. Given that baptism signifies entrance into the (church) Christian life, it seems to me so appropriate to have it placed at the front of the church. I also noticed this same design yesterday, at the Catedral de Cuernavaca.

Walking around town:





















































On the way home: I'm out, like a light:














Arriving back at Ruben and Tati's:














In the evening, watching fútbol:














Late tonight I read an email that mom sent me from home: Ralph has been transferred to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Apparently the Royal Columbian Hospital is overwhelmed with trauma patients so Ralph was transferred without notice. He's not ready for rehab yet, but we hope that if and when he's ready he will be transferred to a clinic that specializes in brain/spine injury rehabilitations.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have Mercy on Ralph.

No comments: