Sunday, November 30, 2008

Personal Retreat: Day 2

Here was my schedule for today.

5:05am - Lauds (Morning Prayer) in the church
















5:30am - Personal Prayer
6:30am - Sung Mass in the church
7:10am - Breakfast
8am - Lectio Divina (Spiritual Readings)
9am- Vocational Discernment
11:55am - Midday Prayer














































12pm - Silent Lunch with the monks
1pm - Nap!
2pm - Vocational Discernment
3pm - Relax, walk in the woods














































4pm - Vocational Discernment
5pm - Prayer in the chapel
5:30pm - Vespers in the church
6pm - Silent Dinner with the monks
6:35pm - Conversation with brother Meinrad
7:15pm - Vigils in the church
8pm - Shower, prepare for bed
9pm - Lectio Divina
10pm - Lights off

Highlight of the Day was definitely taking in the liturgy. For the first time since beginning to visit the monastery I sat in the "right" place during the various liturgies. I found the right booklets to follow along, and was even able to sing along with the Psalms. It was magnificent. I think the simple, repetitive chants sung a cappella, are more beautiful and profound then most of the hymns we sing in church.

I also really enjoyed sharing a meal with the monks and walking in the misty, wet woods.

As for prayer and discernment - that is after all, the reason I came up here! - that went very well too. I felt a tremendous sense of Peace throughout the day. God is good. He continues to come down to us by his Spirit day after day, meeting our every need. I made a list of factors affecting my decision towards ordination in the Anglican Church. In other words, I made a list of "Life-Giving" aspects of life as a priest, as well as "Life-Taking" aspects. I also identified concerns that, should I pursue ordination, would need to be addressed very soon, like, in the next 3 months.

I also reviewed in detail some of the principles of discernment I learned in the Spiritual Discernment class I took last year. Some of the principles, in particular the rules of Ignatian Spirituality, can be found in the journal entry I wrote last year, June 10. Here, in brief, are the others: establishing background, concerns, and obstacles; reviewing theological foundations, principles, my Rule of Life, and Rule of Life values.

I'm nearing decision-time. A few more months - March at the latest - and I think, God-willing, I'm there.

I will share some of my discoveries of this weekend soon. In particular, I found the "Life-Taking" and "Life-Giving" lists are quite interesting.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God,
have Mercy on me, the greatest of Sinners.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God,
have Mercy on me, the greatest of Sinners.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God,
have Mercy on me, the greatest of Sinners.

No comments: