Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Toast Continues!

I usually don't like weddings. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because I fit the male stereotype who finds it hard to sit through a barrage of speeches which - let's face it - most of the time are disappointingly boring, or maybe I'm a tad insecure that I end up going to these events alone and succumb to feeling awkward and out of place as a single man. But this wedding, Rudy and Joanne's wedding, was different. I enjoyed myself from beginning to end, and that's quite a feat, since the wedding lasted virtually all day and evening!

The wedding had three parts: the ceremony, the lunch, and the cocktail party. I'll say a few things about each.

First, the ceremony. It began at 10:30am at St. John's Shaughnessy, and it was splendid: short and simple, yet beautiful and elegant. Most important, it was entirely centered on the cross and resurrection of Christ. Without this element, a marriage ceremony is hollow and virtually meaningless, because the cross and resurrection is the example par excellence of the nature of self-sacrificial love, the foundation of any marriage.

I liked the hymns we sang, "See What a Morning", and "In Christ Alone". These are modern day compositions that I believe will stand the test of time, much like J S Bach's works. I know: a bold statement. I also really appreciated that the entire liturgy (service) was printed out on the service sheet, as great and comforting words were conveyed in it.

There was one shortcoming to the ceremony: there was no Eucharist, no Communion. Rudy and Joanne had their reasons for this. But if I ever marry, the Eucharist will be the centre of the ceremony. Everything, absolutely everything, flows out of the Eucharist.

Next up, the lunch. Lunch was held at the Garden Restaurant at Queen Elizabeth Park, from about 12:30 until 3:30pm. Again, everything was well done. The food was delish, (I had a 10oz steak), the wine was flowing, and the views of the city were magnificent. The venue was central, the atmosphere was classy but not pretentious. As far as the program is concerned, it was not overly long and drawn out. I think in total, there were 4 speeches: both sets of parents, and both sets of siblings. The content of the speeches was relevant and meaningful. Unfortunately, some of the jokes were tasteless and out of place.
















Finally, the cocktail party, from 7:30pm to, yes, 1am Sunday morning!!! This was probably my favourite part of the wedding, for various reasons. One, I'd never been to a cocktail party at a wedding before. Two, it really was a cool party: a cool lounge, great fingerfoods and drinks, an atmosphere of openness that encouraged interaction not only with friends but with others outside our sphere of familiarity, very good video presentations (007, U2), fabulous music, and dancing. And three, for the latter part of the party, I had a date, Jennifer, and a mighty fine date she was. She looked beautiful.

There were two downers to the party though. One, my date didn't want to dance ("I'm not a dancer", she said), and two, no Oakenfold to dance to. Had there been Oakenfold, I'd have ditched my date for a few minutes and gone out on the floor even if I was the only one out there (highly unlikely though, as my friend Carol would've rescued me, if for no other reason than pity!).

So there, that, in a nutshell, was Rudy and Joanne's wedding. A great day, a great celebration, a great couple! May God grant them many many years of joy. Here's another toast to Rudy and Joanne. Prost! Salud! Salut! Cheers!

No comments: