Monday, December 01, 2008

Personal Retreat: Day 3

Today was my final day of prayer and discernment at the Abbey. Here was my schedule:

5:35am - Lauds
6:40am - Spiritual Readings
7:10am - Breakfast
8am - Spiritual Readings
8:45am - Vocational Discernment
9:20am - Prayer
10am - Sung Mass





















12:05pm - Lunch
1pm - Prepare for Departure
1:30pm - Walk in the Woods














































2:20pm - Depart for home

Shortly before going on a walk this afternoon, I met Brother Alban. He's the Oblate Director at the monastery. I had a nice conversation with him. It seems to me that becoming a Benedictine Oblate is a completely realistic next step for me, as I seek to live out the Rule of Life I'm adopting. It makes me accountable to a specific community, while living out the Benedictine way of life in a non-monastic context.

The values are as follows: stability/fidelity, moderation, continuous conversion, and obedience. The process of becoming an Oblate is simple: application via email, 1 year novitiate, and finally, full vows. There are no costs involved, and there are regular meetings, discussions, and/or conferences. Attendance to these is encouraged but not enforced.

I'm thankful for my time here this past weekend. Peace was what I came for, and Peace is what I'm walking away with. In the Rule of Saint Benedict, he wrote: "Let Peace be your quest and aim." Mission accomplished.

Thank you Lord.

No comments: