Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wavelenghts

This morning Grace and I met over coffee. It was the first time we met since our time together in Firenze and Roma in July. It was good to catch up, especially with regards to her experience this past month at Caux, Switzerland, at an inter-religious dialogue/conference.

But I knew that sooner or later we'd end up talking about us. She asked me why I hadn't emailed her the past 5 weeks. I simply told her the truth: I feel that she takes my attention away from God, I feel an increased draw towards the single life, and finally, we're both very different, on different "wavelenghts", if you will. She was hurt, but she accepted my comments.

I offered her friendship, but she said she'd think about it, and get back to me.

In the afternoon I met up with my wonderful nephew Ralph, whom I picked up at the bus station. We took the skytrain downtown and had lunch there, before walking around, checking out the city. Late afternoon we took the bus to my place. Just before arriving at my place we dropped by a hairstylist just around the corner, where he proceeded to get a (tiny little) haircut. For dinner we cooked up some pasta, and in the evening we went to watch a movie. He stayed the night. Tomorrow I will drive him back to Abbotsford.

Although I enjoyed my time with Ralph, my mind was occupied with thoughts about singlehood, lust, friendships, cellibacy, marriage, and relationships.

No comments: