Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Weakening The Chains Of Sin

I'm coming to realize the importance of showing vulnerability. It's in vulnerability that we show strength of character.

I met with a friend for an afternoon coffee today. He's a new Christian, and I have to say I was truly humbled by our time of sharing. In the matter of an hour, he opened himself up to me - completely - warts and everything.

I'm amazed at his life: story after story of sexual and alcohol abuse, and marital troubles too. What amazed me most was his openness about his problem with lust. Simply amazing. He said "Every time I tell someone about this problem, the chains of sin are weakened." Wow. How true. The more we confess our sins to one another, the more our slavery to sin is exposed, and the more open we leave ourselves to the healing powers of others in the Holy Spirit.

We talked about the church, and her inability or unwillingness to recognize how prevalent sexual brokenness is among Christians.

We closed in prayer, and decided to meet again. I look forward to it. I have a lot to learn from him.

No comments: