Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ya Llegamos!

We arrived!

Today was a very special day in the world of futbol, as la albirroja secured their place at next year's Copa Mundial in Germany. Almost a month after our historic win over Argentina, we guaranteed our presence at next year's extravaganza by beating Venezuela 1-0.

The hero of the game this time was Nelson Haedo Valdez (pictured below), who scored in the 65th minute, lifting the "red and whites" over the vinotintos.














This is good news indeed, as it'll make my trip to Germany next year that much more meaningful.

In the past World Cups I didn't pursue getting tickets to see Paraguay play, choosing instead to see los gigantes del futbol (soccer giants) like Argentina, Brazil, Germany, and Italy. But I think it's time I reconnect with my roots. This time I'm going albirrojo.

Teammates celebrate the goal:




















Besides, I always thought David was more interesting than Goliath anyway!

No comments: