Monday, October 03, 2005

Who Am I?

I'm working on a project with 4 other classmates, all guys. Two of them are American, one is English, and one is Scottish (as Scottish as they come!). We're evaluating the Alpha evangelism program.

We've had two meetings now, discussing our POA (plan of action/attack), and for both meetings I noticed that I was unhappy about our meeting. Throughout both meetings I felt distant, out of touch; at times I even felt like I had a gigantic chip on my shoulders.

Been thinking about why I've had such a bad attitude during our meetings. It's strange, because I like all of the guys. They're super: I get along with them, we crack jokes, and heck, two of them even attend my church, and are doing an internship similar to mine.

So earlier today, in a rare moment of enlightenment, I think I stumbled into the answer. I noticed that in both meetings the general tone was "all business", and no "small talk," and as dumb as it sounds, that was it; that was the problem.

I realized that had I had non-Western project-mates, we probably would've talked for at least 15 minutes about personal stuff .. life, relationships, work, classes, church, friends, or politics .. before the meeting even started, and that would've completely changed the dynamics of the conversation; well, for me at least. I guess I like easing into things.

It's strange, because even though I consider myself a canuck - I'm a product of the Canadian system - some aspects about me are not Canadian at all. The above example is one of them, as I'd fit more into the 'Latin American' box.

I worked out my identity options, and they basically work out to the following:

I'm a German-Paraguayan Mennonite Canadian Anglican.
or a German-Paraguayan Canadian Mennonite Anglican;
or a Mennonite German-Paraguayan Anglican Canadian.

I like the first option the best.

No comments: