Monday, September 24, 2012

Zenarruza-Bilbao-Oviedo

I didn't walk today, but the day was certainly anything but restful.

I got up relatively early, around 7am, and cleaned up my room at the monastery.  At 8 I ate breakfast again with my newfound lady-friends, and then at 9 the abbot drove us to the bus station, where at 10 the bus came by and picked us up heading for Bilbao.

Around 1 1 I arrived in Bilbao, and said my adieus to the ladies.  I bought my bus tickets to Oviedo and was super hungry, but I had to take the metro downtown to a sports store so that I could buy a new headlamp for the rest of the Camino.

By 1:30pm I was back near the bus station, and had just enough time - 20 minutes - to wolf down a lunch, before boarding the bus for Oviedo.

Around 5:30 I arrived in Oviedo.  On the bus I met a Russian pilgrim, Alexei, who'd walked 100 kms from Roncesvalles to Pamplona (or thereabouts), and who now wanted to walk another 100kms, ending in Santiago.  I told him that Oviedo is over 300kms away, and then proceeded to give him suggestions as to how he could complete the 100kms.

He ended up accompanying me to my albergue, and afterwards we went for dinner.  Below is a picture from our dinner together.

Tomorrow bright and early I will start the Camino Primitivo.  I'm so excited.


No comments: