Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 4: Deba - Ziortza (30 Kms)

I blocked the fact that I was walking out of my mind for much of today's walk, and oddly enough, it worked, I made it: 30kms.  I don't think I've ever walked that far in one day!  It was, without a doubt, my hardest day on the Camino yet.

The morning was fresh and sunny, very comfortable; but by 11am the sun was burning overhead, and the pavement seemed to be burning holes into my shoes and right through my feet.

But the scenery, absolutely amazing.  Having passed the vineyard region, today I made my way further inland, where I encountered pine forests, dairy farms, and many rolling hills.  There was a tough sector that was relentlessly uphill, it reminded me of the Grouse Grind.  And actually, I blew everyone away at that point: all the Grind training paid off!

I stopped for lunch around 12pm-ish, and sat down on a hill overlooking a farm with some horses nearby, and a valley below me in the distance.

In Markina I caught up with Markus again.  We stopped there along with a few others at a bar and enjoyed a nice cold beer.  Markus ordered himself a coffee and a beer.  Everyone - including me - thought it was an odd combination, but whatever, he's German I guess.

Markus and I walked the last 6 or so kms together, and along the way we discussed "sin".  Is ignorance sin?  Markus thinks not, I think it is.  But I imagine it's not as clear cut as that.

We arrived in Ziortza late afternoon, perhaps around 6-ish, where I happily checked into the monastery of Zenazurra.  I'm glad I made reservations to stay here for 2-3 days, I certainly need the break.  My body's beaten and (seemingly) broken.  My feet ache.







Tomorrow's Sunday.  I will attend church at the monastery, and then spend the rest of the day reflecting on my experience thus far.  Maybe the day after I'll have enough energy to continue.

No comments: