Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 3: Zarautz - Deba (21 Kms)

When I started walking today it looked like a rainstorm was on the way, but I was pleased when I noticed that the storm clouds went right over me without dropping any water.  Thank you Lord!

The first two hours or so were mostly through vineyards, like the 2nd picture below shows.  What a great place this must be to live at: near the atlantic ocean, rolling hills, dry and hot weather, lots of wine, and small towns sprinkled everywhere; I love it.

In Zumaia I met up with Jacob and Arman.  Arman and I were quite hungry, so we stopped at the town butcher and bought ourselves, what else but a loaf of bread, cheese, a tomato, jamón ibérico, and an orange.  The food here is so good, it tastes so healthy!

Today's stretch was only 21kms, but boy was I happy when we arrived in Deba, because I've got a couple of blisters on my left foot that are killing me: one is between my big toe and the 2nd toe, and the other one's on the 4th toe.  When I took my socks off at the end of the day, there was blood just inside my big toe, and my socks were also blood-stained near the front.  How am I going to continue?  I'm gutted and discouraged.

The albergue is cheap, 3 Euros, but it's dirty and on a hill just at the edge of town.  The last thing I want to do after walking 21kms is climb a steep hill to the albergue!

I ate dinner with Markus and Angelo, an Italian fellow I met on the road today.  Funny, the picture below shows that Markus was drinking a beer, Angelo was drinking wine, and I was drinking water.  Talk about getting our stereotypes right!

I tried calling Jennifer on the phone today and didn't reach her.  I tried yesterday also and left a voice mail.  I miss her like crazy.  I can't explain it.

I lost my headlamp in San Sebastián, and tried to find another one here but the local sports store didn't have any in stock.

Tomorrow I have a mammoth 30km walk ahead of me.  Lord have mercy!






No comments: