Monday, September 24, 2012

Rest at Zenarruza

I attended 4 of the (I think) possible 7 services today: Lauds, Eucharist, visperas (Vespers), and completas (Compline).  Just what I needed.

While the atmosphere here at the monastery is peaceful, it's not necessarily friendly.  Most of the monks are cordial, but they more or less keep to themselves.  For someone who is unawares of the monastic way of life this might seem cold, but having read a number of books on this topic, I know that their task is to fulfill their daily duties, and that they are not to get distracted, looking for "things to do" or "people to talk to".  

Still, I'd have liked it if one of them approached me to ask how I was doing or how my Camino was going.  To be fair, when I went inside the tienda where they sell religous art, books, and some of the stuff they make at the monastery, I did have a nice conversation with the attendant there.  He was surprised that someone from Canada wanted to stay in a monastery (they'd never had a pilgrim stay in the residence, only in the albergue), and he was even more surprised that I could converse with him in Spanish.

I also met 3 elderly ladies who are staying at the monastery.  We ate all meals together.  They told me they do this as a yearly "girls week away" from their busy lives.  I thought that's pretty cool, elderly women getting away for a spiritual retreat.

I've been reading through the gospel of Matthew since I began the Camino.  I read about 3 chapters a day.

I explored the grounds of the monastery today, and I'm coning to the conclusion that while I really enjoy the serenity of this place, I'm restless inside, and one or two days isn't enough time to work on myself.  What's ailing me?

Tomorrow I will continue on my journey towards Santiago.  I will take two buses, the first one to Bilbao, and the second one to Oviedo.  There I want to continue the Camino, and walk the entirety of the Camino Primitivo.






No comments: