Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 8: Tineo - Borres (19 Kms)

Tineo really is a lovely town, possibly my favourite town so far.  It's nestled among the mountains, small and quaint, and with a nice historic feel to it.  The first picture below is of Tineo.  I took it as I left town this morning, around 8:30 am (after breakfast).

I walked for 11kms, to Villaluz, before taking a break.  I should take my first break sooner, because inevitably, the second half of the day becomes more difficult for me when I start off so strong/fast.

I had lunch in a small town called Campiello, at a place called La Hermienta.  The food was very average, except the café con leche, and the flan, they were both excellent.  I met some French ladies just before arriving here, and they invited me to eat with them (I think mostly because I know Spanish and they don't know a word)They were not good company by any stretch of the imagination.  I'll leave it at that.

I arrived at Borres around 3:30pm, the earliest time I've arrived at my day's destination yet on the Camino.   Borres is sort of like San Juan, in that it has no grocery stores, no supermarkets, nothing.  But it's not like San Juan in terms of lodging facilities.  The albergue was horrible, the worst I've encountered.  Dirty, no hot water, and no electricity.

Borres, like any other town in Spain, has a small church, but sadly, when I tried to go inside to pray, it was locked.  I've noticed that about many places on the Camino.  Churches are closed.  I wish they'd open them up, even if at the risk of vandalism or theft, but maybe they've already tried that and found it too costly.  It would add so much meaning to the Camino for a person of faith.  To date, I can count the number of churches that are open for pilgrims on one hand.

Today's stage was the easiest of all. But things are about to get hard, very hard.  Tomorrow I'm going to try to do the Ruta de los Hospitales, a shortcut that was used historically for the sick.

The weather's cloudy, with frequent threats of rain, but thankfully, not much rain has fallen.  The temperature fluctuates between 8-16C each day.











No comments: