Monday, September 10, 2012

Camino: Discerning, Costly

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I hope to go on the Camino de Santiago very soon.  In fact, my departure date is September 16th.

As I've been preparing to go on this journey, I've noticed how particular others are in preparing for the journey.  I've done research on a number of websites, and it seems that people meticulously calculate what to bring along and what to leave behind.  The theory is that the more you bring along, the heavier your backpack, and the heavier your backpack, the more difficult, painful, and frustrating the journey becomes.  Doesn't Jesus say something along these lines?  Travel with only the tunic on your backs..., don't build up for yourselves earthly treasures...

Here's an example of how meticulous some pilgrims are: in a bid to save weight, they cut off most of the handle on their toothbrush!  And here I am, wondering whether I should bring an eReader or a book.  So whereas I am calculating weight in kilos, others are measuring what to take along in grams!  The general rule I've learned people try to adhere to is that they take no more than 10% of their body weight in their backpack.  So far I'm at 13%.  I'd like to cut out another 4 points and get down to 9%.  This means that my backpack will weigh about 7 kgs, when all is said and done.

Another thing I've noticed is that while walking the Camino is certainly cheaper than going to a beach resort for a week, it's still a costly endeavour.  So far I've spent in excess of $500 in preparatory purchases: a Deuter backpack, 2 short-sleeved wool t's, 1 long-sleeved hooded wool t, wool socks, wool underwear (wool is the theme, here, as may be evident), a headlamp, and an all-purpose cleaning soap, to name the major ones.  And in all likelihood more expenses are still to come.

I can't help but feel like a bit of a wimp, when I think of how difficult the real pilgrims of generations past had it, and how easy it is for me.  They didn't have the privilege of shopping at MEC as they prepared to walk.  Rather, they uprooted their entire families, sometimes spent their entire life savings, in order to walk the Camino.  This, in addition to facing the danger of robbers, and battling the elements - weather and wild beasts - along the way.

Still, I hope there's at least some kind of a spiritual benefit to embarking on this journey!

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have Mercy on me, a Sinner!

No comments: