Tuesday, January 02, 2007

NYE @ Cub's: A New Tradition?

I think a new tradition has birthed: New Year's Eve (NYE) at Cub's!

Last year I had a NYE party, and it was great fun. This year I had a party again, and on all accounts it was as good as last year, I dare say even better: great people, great atmosphere, great music, great dancing --> a great evening.

Thanks in VERY large part to my amazing amiga boliviana Claudia, who helped me plan and organize the party, I have to say it was a smashing success. She even took time out of her busy schedule and went shopping for the party with me yesterday. I'm truly greatful for such a dear friend!

So, without further due, here is how things went:

8:30pm - the "faithful" start to arrive; I use the word purposefully. The faithful were those who not only arrived on time, but upon arriving, noticed that Clau & I weren't quite finished with party preparations yet, so they rolled up their sleeves and in an amazing 30 minutes helped us finish all kinds of stuff: decorations, food & drink prep, lighting the candles, and a few other duties. Thanks to Paul, Glenn, Sanjit, and Linda especially!
















10pm - people slowly started to trickle in. Many people contributed food, wine, and beer to the party! Thanks! As well, Clau got out the "party tricks" (masks and wigs), and while at first people were a little hesitant (this being in line with our reserved Canadian nature), once a few of us did it, the rest followed:
















Sanjit, Connie, Clau, & Benjamin
















Benjamin, Steve, & Dan
















Connie, Clau, & Cub
















Carla & Clau

11pm - most people arrived by this time; the wine was good, the conversation was loud, and the music was even louder... some began dancing to, what else, Tears for Fears, nohting like music from the 80's...

















Benjamin & Carla
















Hugh & Benny

11:30pm - I hauled out the sangria that I'd made yesterday: a mixture of red wine, ginger ale, lemonade, rum, gran marnier, and fruits. We filled everyone's glass, formed a circle, and then one-by-one, about 25 of us shared our joys and sorrows of 2006, and the challenges we hope to meet this upcoming year.

12am, Ano Domine 2007 - Happy New Year!!! Fröhliches Neues Jahr!!! Feliz Año Nuevo!!! Hugs, Prost!, estrellitas, kisses, Cheers!, popping ballons, Salud!....

12:01am - at this point the party kicked into high gear with nothing less than some Paul Oakenfold (Creamfields): Point Zero. Symphonic techno. People moving. The rhythm of life filled the room...


















12:30am - after a few Oakenfold songs (I Found You, First Sight, Como Tu, 12, and Living the Dream), we switched gears back to 80's music, first Simply Red, then Tears for Fears (again). [I could've danced to Oakenfold allllllllllllllllll night long, but tragically my friends are not into electronica]. ;) Finally, we made one more switch, to Latin music.






























2am - by now, the crowd had thinned out substantially. Only the hardcore remained, still dancing, still having fun, still enjoying a great beat. The sangria was almost gone, all that was left were the fruits, saturated with wine. Oh yeah, and my apartment, it was a mess.

3:15am - I don't remember what time exactly the last people left. But I do know that around 3:45 I went to bed, totally tired, tollay exhausted, totally satisfied.

The party didn't go as long as I'd hoped, but I'm happy nonetheless, because as long as people were here, they had a good time. We laughed, we cheered, we shared, and we danced. What more is there? We had lots of alcohol, but not a single person was drunk. Isn't this how it shoud be? People enjoying fellowship without compromising God's image in us.

Next year I'd like to have a NYE party that lasts all night. Maybe if I provide a breakfast, people will come.... However, this being my last year in school, and unsure of where to after graduation, I'm not sure there will be a NYE's @ Cub's next year. It was a good but short tradition while it lasted...

Keeping in line with last year's post, here are the highlights of the party:

* people came! (a few more than last year)
* sharing-time
* sangria
* Clau's help --> without her it would never have been the same
* Paul Oakenfold
* Dancing

No comments: