Monday, January 08, 2007

Skunks Stink

On my way to church tonight I just about ran over a skunk. I slammed on the breaks so as to avoid hitting the skunk, not realizing that in self-defence, he (maybe it was a she, who knows) would spray my car. Well, spray s/he did.

And boy stink it did. Within 10 seconds the interior of my car smelled like a skunk-infested hell, rather than a Volkswagen Jetta. I turned off the heating, as it was drawing in all the spray from outside, but it was too late. The damage had been done.

I continued driving to church. Once there, I thought to myself hopefully the smell's not on me. Within about 10 minutes, 3 people were talking about "this skunk-infested neighbourhood", and that "someone ought to do something about it."

With great innocence, I agreed, "Yeah, you're right, it smells like skunks around here. I wonder where it's coming from."

After I overheard two more people talk about it, I decided that enough was enough. I'd carried the smell of that bloody skunk with me to church, and while s/he had managed to ruin my evening, I wasn't about to let him/her ruin other people's evening too. I picked up my jacket and left church.

I went home and threw all my clothes in the washing machine. I wanted to throw myself into the machine too, but alas, a I had to be content with a normal shower. My clothes are sitting here now on my drying rack. They smell lovely.

My nostrils, however, are still full of the sheit. Plus, the interior of my car still smells putrid. I will not drive my car for at least a week. Hopefully by then the smell is gone. I may even have to get it cleaned professionally. I never thought I'd spend money on a skunk.

Next time I'm not going to slam on the breaks in mercy. Instead, I'm going to aim for the frickin' thing and hope to hit it. We'll see who has the last laugh then.....

No comments: