Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine

Today it seems appropriate to talk about the real definition of love. It's not your typical definition found on tv, radio, bus, or newspaper ads. It is much more revolutionary, mind-blowing, indeed lifechanging, than anything the world has to offer. Here goes:

"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us..." (I. John 3:16)

"God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us." (I. John 4:8-12)

Conceptually, I know and understand the implications of God's love for us. However, on a day to day basis, I struggle accepting that I'm loved by God and others. As well, I struggle loving others, especially my enemies. Nevertheless, I will keep at it, with God's help.

Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Kyrie eleison. Christe eleison. Kyrie eleison.

No comments: