Sunday, February 12, 2006

Challenges Of Online Journaling

I've decided to change the way I journal.

To this point, I've refrained from using people's names online, choosing instead to give their first and last initials. I've done this primarily to protect people's identity. The internet's a powerful tool that unless treated with caution can compromise trust and care between friends.

At the same time, there's also the issue of gossip. One can write down just about anything about anyone in a private journal, because no other eyes will read it, but in the sphere of the world wide web everything is visible to everyone, providing a ripe environment for gossip. This is not something I want to do!

I want to continue to respect privacy and refrain from gossiping, but I also would like to make the journal more accessible and personal for those who regularly read my thoughts. Using initials seems impersonal and cold.

One suggestion given to me was to include people's first name, while just giving the initials of the last name. Another thought is to use nicknames. Either of these approaches would continue to protect privacy, while making the journal more personal. I think they are worth a try.

I invite your comments. And yes, if my rants amount to what in your mind is gossip, let me know, because that's certainly not my intention. Be warned though. If you accuse me of gossip, I just may end up writing about your complaint on my next journal entry! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can just call me Mr. S

cub said...

hahaha .. that's even more impersonal than before!!!!! alright, so be it ... mr. s.