Sunday, February 12, 2006

Tasting The World

Today was a super duper busy day. I went snowshoeing at Cypress Mountain from 9am until 5pm, then I went to an event at Regent, "Taste of the World", from 6 until 11.

A few words about each, as well as a highlight.

Snowshoeing: we went with our church group Fusion. Although turnout was low, less than 15, those who came had a super time. We went up to the summit of Cypress Mountain. The hike took 3.5 hours in total, lunchbreak included. The weather was sunny and crisp, although at the summit it was windy and cold. As usual, the view at the top was breathtaking. I'm convinced that when God "makes all things new", he will use Vancouver and its glorious surroundings as a blueprint. Thank you Lord for creating a world with such beauty and glory. The heavens indeed declare your mighty works!

Here are some pictures taken at the summit:






Taste of the World: This is one of my favourite annual events at Regent. It's a night when students from all cultures cook food and share it in one gigantic potluck. Afterwards, there's a talent show where representatives from many various cultures give us a glimpse into their culture through art, skit, poetry, or song. This year, the following nations were respresented in one way or another: Malaysia, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, USA, New Zealand, Korea, Latin America, and Canada.

My contribution was as follows: for Canada, I helped cook pancakes, and I also helped out in a group song of Stompin' Tom Connors' The good ol' hockey game. For Latin America my contribution was mate and I also helped sing a group song La Bamba. I did not make any contribution to the German team. They didn't invite me. Mind you, I didn't offer myself either.

Highlight: The highlight of the night - at least for me - was when the Korean presentation asked for 10 volunteers to come forward, to participate in a tv gameshow of sorts very typical in Korea. I went forward. What we were asked to do was juggle this little puck with tassles on it (how lame .. why not just a ball? And why tassles?). Anyways, I won the competition. The great thing is I beat a Korean in the final. I beat him at his own game. The crowd was cheering and clapping, it was great fun! My reward for winning the competition was a Korean bookmark. Good thing I collect bookmarks...


No comments: