Sunday, February 26, 2006

God In Everyday Tasks

Menial everyday tasks lead me to worship God.

Sometimes I pray silently while making my bed. Other times I catch myself saying "Lord have Mercy" or "Christ have Mercy," or reciting the Lord's Prayer, while organizing my books, sweeping the floor, or folding laundry. The last few days I've unexpectedly burst into tears while shaving or showering. Today it happened while washing dishes.

When these kind of moments happen, I'm driven to my knees in worship and adoration of God. I find this strange, because the reason that tears flow to begin with, is because of the brokenness I see in my life: loneliness, jealousy, envy, pride, insecurity, and lack of certainty. But instead of focusing on myself when these intense moments of pain come, I'm led to seek comfort from someone else. I'm overwhelmed by something, someone, to look outside myself for a solution. I'm compelled to throw myself at the feet of God and acknowledge his greatness, his majesty, his sovereignty. I'm driven to praise.

Perhaps this is what St. Paul was talking about when he said in Romans 8:26-27:

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a powerful bit of writing dude...

cub said...

thanks man, much appreciated. do you ever have similar experiences?