Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Relationally-Challenged

Over the past few months I've had to come to terms with the painful realization that the stereotype statement "guys are afraid of commitment" so often attributed to men, is applicable to me also. Yes, it's true. I'm afraid of commiting to a woman.

However, while trying to make sense of this rather devilish reality, I've come to wonder what women's equivalent sin is. I mean after all, both, Adam and Eve sinned. Sin is not something men have exclusive rights to. Surely women also have relational issues.

The answer came to me over the last few days, and it came in a clear and unmistakeable way. Here it is: women have the same commitment problem men do. We just call it something different. We call it "getting cold feet."

The reasons for being so afraid of commitment probably differ between men and women (and that's a whole different story), but still, let's call a spade a spade. Men and women are both afraid of commitment. We are both relationally-challenged.

Therefore, by the powers granted to me by myself, I hereby decree that should a man be accused of being afraid of commitment (especially by a woman), he has every right to defend himself in due and proper manner, in a way that exudes charity and nothing but charity.

Acceptable responses include:

"Listen, honey, your feet look like ice-blocks. May I fill the bathtub with hot water so that you can warm your lovely feet?"

"Brrrrr................it's cold in here. Why are you walking barefoot on the cold floor? Let me turn up the heat."

"You are right, my dear. I am afraid of commitment. Your feet look blue and cold. Would you like me to get some socks for you?"

No comments: