Monday, December 26, 2005

A Rainy Christmas Day

Today was a very rainy day. Except for the emptiness on the streets, it didn't feel like Christmas at all. I didn't go to church in the morning, because I went to the 11pm service last night, and stayed up late afterwards. Actually, CM and RS came over for some port wine and blue cheese, and I'm glad they did, because we had a really special time together.

But I did get to visit with people, and that's something I enjoyed.

Early afternoon I visted my friend ML, who arrived from Japan a week ago. She invited me to a family lunch. It was good to see her family again. Her mother cooked an amazing meal. She also introduced me to her uncle who was visiting from Eritrea. He was an interesting and very educated man, very smart, but he talked way too much. And he had an odd obsession with Apple Computers (for freaks sake people, it's a computer!!!) It seems to me that every family has an "uncle" who talks too much. Regardless, the L's invited me to come to an Ethiopian dinner on the 28th, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

Late afternoon I went to Abbotsford to visit with my relatives. I actually had no desire to go whatsoever. Whenever I visit with relatives I feel like I'm entering a "timezone" or "world" that's totally and utterly different and unlike mine. But anyways, I need to continue to deal with it, and accept them for who they are. I've no right to judge. One thing we did that I loved was sing hymns. At special occasions like Easter and Christmas, we always sing, and I love that. Partly because the hymns we sing are so beautiful and meaningful, but also, because our family has a great tradition of good musicians.

Late in the evening I went to visit JR, who came home from the Philippines for Christmas. She's been a missionary in Cotabato for the past two years. She has another year to go, but one of her financial supporters decided to pay for a trip for her to come home for Christmas. How cool is that! She told me how God's faithfulness has been so amazing during the past two years, and that was really good for me to hear. It's true: it's hard to realize and comprehend God's faithfulness when you're living in a place that has everything, when all your needs are met, and where no threats are evident. But, this security is really false and fleeting. Anyways, it was good to catch up with her. I hope to spend some more time with her before she returns to the Philippines.

All in all, this was a good day. I'm disappointed I didn't go to church in the morning, but spending time with friends and family is also a discipline worth cultivating.

No comments: