Friday, August 28, 2015

Al Watan, Haflingers, Saloniki, And Rook

Well it was a busy day!

I arrived in Vancouver just before noon, where I met Sanjit for lunch at Al Watan.  This is still the best restaurant in Vancouver as far as I'm concerned.  And Khalid is still the best host.  It was good to catch up with Sanjit again too.

We sat and hung out at the restaurant until about 3pm, at which point we went to Broadway Shoes.  I'd planned to get myself some new indoor only birks, but upon discovering these comfy Haflingers I changed my mind.  I also picked up some long johns and a wool hiking t from MEC.


After the shopping spree we went to Ruth and Marty's, where we chatted some more until it was time to go for dinner.  We opted for Saloniki on Commercial.  Good choice.  Benja joined us, as did Alfonso and Anoush.  I woolfed down a lamb souvlaki with the usual fixins of rice and salad.


Before the meal Benja said something that stung a little: "So Ed, you've been living the good life."  Translaton: you've gained some weight.  When he told me this I felt like reaching over the table and punch him in the face, but that says more about me than about him, and it confirms what I see when I look in the mirror: I have been living the good life, or as my friend Scott would say, I haven't skipped too many meals lately.  I've gained some weight, and I need to deal with it.

After dinner we went back to Ruth and Marty's and played Rook until just about midnight.  Ruth and Marty weren't there, as they play soccer on Friday nights, followed by drinks at the pub afterwards.

Tomorrow I'd like to go to Ikea, on my way back to Abbotsford to celebrate Ted's 50th birthday.

No comments: