Monday, October 15, 2012

Pilgrim's Mass: Take 2

I attended Mass again today, but whereas yesterday I sat in the main nave of the church, today I sat in the transept.  I was much closer to the front, and had a better view of the botafumeiro.



For much of the rest of the day I walked around the city and took pictures.










Santiago is a city that seems entirely immersed in the Camino experience.  Everything in the city, at least in the old core, seems to revolve around the Way of St. James.  Sure, much of it is a tourist trap, but I dare say that faith is quite alive in the city.  For example, I saw at least two bookstores - one of them quite large - right in the middle of the city.  

But what struck me about these bookstores is that in addition to the many books with tourist appeal, both had a substantial selection of theological books.  I spent a good 2 hours browsing through interesting titles and authors, from C S Lewis to G. K. Chesterton, from Pope Gregory the Great to John Paul II and Pope Benedict, from St. Francis to St. Benedict to St. Teresa of Avila, and from Karl Rahner to Henri de Lubac.  I even saw a book or two of the Reformed tradition, by Karl Barth, for example.  Surprising.

Many books were available in various languages.  And the stores were packed.  Lots of customers. I'm not sure a city's spiritual well-being can be judged by the number and kind of theological books it has on offer, but at the same time, I'm not willing to discount that possibility either.

No comments: