Thursday, October 18, 2012

2 Days In In Pamplona

The past two days I've been in Pamplona visiting with Juan, Yueh-Hsin, and little Lorenzo.  They are amazing hosts.

For the most part, Juan and I ventured around town, and he showed me many great places in his city: the old walls, the cathedral (and other churches), the old part of town, the route of the running of the bulls, and many other places.






The highlight for me though was a day-trip to a monastery in Leyre, and then afterwards to Xavier, two very historical places.  The monastery in particular, as most of them do, made a positive impact on me.  The setting of it was stunning, overlooking a a valley and a lake.







Tomorrow bright and early, Juan will drive me to Bilbao, where I will catch a flight home to Vancouver.  Here ends my trip.  

The night before I began walking the Camino, I met a guy from Barcelona.  He was close to my age, and upon finding out that I was about to begin walking my first Camino, he said: "You'll be back.  There's something about the Camino that brings people back for more.  You'll be back.  You can be sure of that."

He was right.  Absolutely right.  I hope to return and walk again, which route, I'm not sure yet.  Maybe the Camino Portugues, or maybe I'll complete the Norte route.  And actually, I wouldn't be opposed to doing the Primitivo again.  It was that good.

But I think next time I walk, I'd like company.  As much as I hate to admit it, walking on my own was a bit lonely at times.  I'm an idealist, and think that there is a difference between solitude and loneliness, the former being a positive state, the second one a negative.  And there have been times in my life, even lengthy periods, where I felt quite comfortable, and even thrived, being alone, but presently that's not the case.  I don't know, I can't explain it.  Peace come and goes.  It's elusive, like the wind.  Lord have mercy. 
 
In the meantime, goodbye Spain.  Thanks for the wonderful hospitality.  Hasta la próxima.

No comments: