Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Camino de Santiago: Concluding Thoughts


Today is my last day in Santiago.  Tonight at 11pm I take a bus to Pamplona where I will visit with Juan for a few days before returning home. I offer here some thoughts on my Camino experience.

* preparation matters: in terms of packing, I did well.  I fit all my belongings in a 36L backpack. I should've been better prepared in terms of footwear though.  One-year old, wornout trekking shoes don't cut it.

* there's healing in walking: say what you will, but the human spirit is refreshed, renewed, and rejuvenated by walking. 

* Spain's cup of coffee, the café con leche, is by far the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted.

* other specialties, like the biscocho cake, jamón iberico or jamón serrano, and sopa de lentejas, are all well worthy of high praises.

* go wooly: synthetics stink.  Wool, on the other hand, keeps you cool in the heat, warm in the cold, and it doesn't stink.  It does take some getting used to in terms of wearing (itchy), and it's not very strong or sturdy.

* religious: Spain is less secular than expected.  I'm sure this is because the places I visited and the people I met are familiar with or even committed to the spiritual life.  Still, refreshing.

* walking limits: my limit seems to be 20 kms per day.  25kms is uncomfortable but do-able occasionally, and 30+ kms is downright painful.

* openness: the high number of pilgrims I met who were open to talk about God seem to indicate that people are searching for meaning.  "I want to have hope", said Markus.

* reading discipline: I'm glad that I brought a New Testament along.  I read through the first two gospels and had plenty of time for reflection.

* tempranillo: finally a red wine that I can drink without getting a headache.  Spanish red wine.  And not only the tempranillo, but the crianza too.  And it's ok to chill red wine in the fridge!

* sharing sucks: if you don't believe me, try sharing a bathroom with 20 others.  It's a stretching experience.  Wear flip-flops.

* small towns: I'd like to live in one, one day.  There's a seeming simplicity to living in a small town that I find really appealing.  But I imagine that it can be a lonely place too, if you're an outsider.
 
* company: I enjoyed walking alone, sometimes.  On the Primitivo there are less people, which means that I spent a lot of time alone.  I think I'd have enjoyed the walking experience more with a trusted friend or companion.  Jennifer would've been such a partner, even though our walking limits differ.  I'd gladly compromise, to accommodate her.

* irony: why is it that even though I feel lonely at times I push people away?  There were a number of opportunities to mingle and get to know others, but I often shied away, spending time alone instead.

* self-acceptance: I have not accepted myself yet.  Is it just me or do others feel like they're a failure too?

* closed doors: I wish more churches or chapels were open along the way.  I'd probably have walked slower, and found more places to force myself to reflect. 

* walking stick: I'm torn.  A stick does help when walking, especially when walking long distances.  It helps me keep my balance.  But I don't like always having something in my hands while I walk.

* rhythmic prayer: the Jesus Prayer and prayer beads are the solution to a wandering mind.  Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have Mercy on me, a Sinner!

No comments: