Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 15: Sobrado Dos Monxes - Arzúa (23 Kms)

After going a week without walking, I was itching to get back on the road this morning.

I got up early, I was ready to go by 7:15am.  At 7:30 I went to Mass.  I'm tired of attending without being able to partake.  Other than that, beautiful, inviting liturgy.

After Mass, I had breakfast with my Spaniard friends one last time.  We gave each other a warm going-away hug at the end, before saying farewell, Godspeed!

I hit the road around 8:30, with a bittersweet feeling.  Bitter - enveloped in feelings of loss, longing and loneliness; sweet - encouraged by conversations with the various staff, monks and reteratants; and eager to see what lay ahead on the Camino.

As I began walking, my eyes were tear-filled.  Why?



I stopped for a coffee at the 7.5km mark in Carredoras.  The hostess there was a very friendly lady who was not at all shy about telling me of all the troubles burdening her beloved España.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on Spain!

At the 13.5km mark I stopped in Sendelle, were a very friendly lady gave me a tour of the town church.


As soon as I left Sendelle it began to pour, and I walked in the rain for a good hour before it stopped and the sun tried to peak through.


I arrived in Arzúa late afternoon, and noticed immediately that this was a very busy town.  That's because here the various routes converge before the final stretch to Santiago.

Unlike at previous locations where there was always a bed available at the inn, here I was turned away a few times before I finally found lodging at the Albergue Los Caminantes.  The hospitalera here is an energetic woman, a firecracker, really, who welcomed all of us pilgrims with great  enthusiasm and good humour.

As I headed out for dinner a few hours later (and still way too early for the rest of Spain to head out for dinner), it began to rain again.  I ate dinner at Restaurante Carballeira.  I journalled there for quite a while, before, during, and after my meal.

Below, a picture of the soup, caldo gallego, that I enjoyed for dinner.

The weather's chilly.  I hope the hostel has heating.

No comments: