Monday, October 08, 2012

Lugo - Sobrado Dos Monxes (By Bus)

I woke up at 8am, got dressed, and went downstairs to the restaurant to read my Bible.  I'm finished reading the gospel of Matthew, and am now reading Mark.

Jen likes to sleep in, and I didn't have the patience to wait for her before eating breakfast, so I ate on my own.  At 9am she came down and joined me.

There was tension in the air.  I can't explain why, but I just know it's there.  I think she's averse to leaving Lugo, much less staying in a monastery in Sobrado.  No harsh words were said though.

We walked around town until around 1:30pm, and just before taking a taxi to Friol, we got some ice cream to cool us off.  It was actually a pretty hot day.


By 3pm we were in Friol, where we had enough time to sit in a park for a while before catching a bus to Sobrado.



We arrived in Sobrado at 4:45, and the first thing - almost the only thing - we could see from a distance was the massive towers of the church.

From the exterior, the monastery looked quite unkempt, but once inside I was actually really surprised how well taken care of everything was.


We checked in, quite tired and a little stressed.  I'm stressed because I know the end is coming: Jennifer will leave tomorrow and go to La Coruña.  That makes me sad.  She, on the other hand, is stressed (I think) because she worries about missing the bus tomorrow, and not having all her clothes washed and dried for the trip.  Talk about different sources of stress.

After we checked in, she plunked down in her bed and read a little.  I, on the other hand, had a quick nap, until 7pm, at which point I headed down for visperas.  The liturgy was inviting and accessible.


We skipped dinner at the monastery, going instead to the Plaza bar across the street to watch the Barcelona - Real Madrid game and eat there.  I was surprised that most people cheered for Real Madrid.  Given the magical style of Barcelona's game the past few years, and given the horrible antics of Real's coach (Mourinho), I thought most people would cheer for Barcelona.  But I was wrong.  Maybe it has something to do with the separatist aspirations of the Catalan people, I don't know.  Regardless, the game was great, and the final score was 2-2.


Tomorrow Jennifer and I will go our own way.  I'm sad.

No comments: