Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Praying Psalms of Lament

Given the situation in our family, here are some thoughts I gathered today from listening to Darrell Johnson's lecture on laments in the Psalms.

Laments are:
1- An "In your face", direct address to God: a plea for help => rescue me, heal me, forgive me, lift me out of pit, overcome the enemies!
2- Complaint: Why? => why do the wicked prosper? why do you not judge? why are you so far away? how long?
3- Either a confession of sin (I'm part of the problem), or claim of innocence (I didn't do anything to deserve this) => examples are Psalm 44, 89.
4- A cursing of the enemy.
5- A request for God's answer, and an explanation of why He should answer: 1- for your Name's sake ("So that your Name is not dishonoured .. You said that You're the God that's with us and for us .. if this continues .. You're not going to look very good God!"); 2- because I'm yours, I don't deserve to be treated this way; 3- b/c if I die You wont be praised .. those in Hades don't praise you!; 4- a vow: rescue me and I'll praise you, I will honour You.
6- An expression of confidence in God's response (except in Psalm 88).
7- A thanksgiving, blessing: "I know You're here, I know You're with me."

Redemptive aspects of praying Psalms of lament:
1- they keep us from a denial spirituality => lament Psalms help us stay away from pretending everything's ok.
2- Lament Psalms help us realize we're not alone => they remind us that there's a whole company of people who know pain and suffering, and to pray these Psalms with people gives us assurance we're not alone.
3- they build authentic community => based on the fullness of our humanity, and not just in our pious "nicety."
4- they engender true healing => laments open up deep places so that "the light and life of God" can penetrate them.
5- they engender deeper intimacy => with God; we realize that the character of God is good, and that he doesn't let bad things happen without purpose.
6- they are part of the process by which God brings the kingdom (and all the fullness thereof) into the world => in Rev. 6-8, the Lamb opens the scroll (the secret of history), and God acts in response to the prayers of his people. We are not wasting our breath by praying "How long, Lord!" It's part of the mystery.

No comments: