Friday, February 25, 2011

5 Plans For The Day

Today was marked by 5 "events":

1- car problems: on my way to New Westminster my car started making really loud noises. In fact, so loud that I was embarrassed driving! The original plan was to visit Ralph before and after lunch, but I decided to ditch the "before" plans, and drove my car to a repair shop instead. I was told that by the end of the day the car would be fixed.

2- lunch with Russell and Darren: this was a good-bye lunch, on behalf of the shipping/receiving department (ehem .. all of 2 people). We went to a Thai restaurant in New West, not too far from the hospital. The food was good, and the company too. We discussed the future of the company (it doesn't look very promising, from my vantage point, and I'm an outsider now so I can say it) for the most part. While I'm glad that I'm now turning the page and moving in a different direction vocationally, I do believe that both Russell and Darren were good men to work with.

3- after lunch I visited Ralph: I actually went back to the mechanic shop before going to the hospital, and to my surprise, they hadn't found the problem yet, but they assured me that by day's end they would. So, to the hospital I went. My visit with Ralph was very good. My heart aches for him, my heart is breaking for him. I read more Psalms for him, and also did another prayer service from the BCP. Lord please heal him!

4- dinner with coworkers: after a good 2-hour visit with Ralph I went back to the shop to pick up my car. Then I went to the Paddlewheeler Pub at the Quay in New Westminster. This was another good-bye event from work. I have to say that I feel cared for by these good-bye events. I met some really great people these past 2.5 years. Even people whom I usually don't speak with too much at work showed up. No names will be mentioned... It was good to be able to formally say good-bye. I'm especially grateful to Melanie who single-handedly planned the entire event. I will miss her.

5- pick up "Alve" desk: my final activity for the day was supposed to be a highlight, but it ended up being a major disappointment. For the past 3 months I've been looking for a used Alve desk (Ikea) to buy, and I thought I'd made a deal with someone a few days ago via email. We'd agreed that I'd pick it up tonight at 8:30. I arrived late, around 8:45, only to find out that they'd come to a verbal agreement with someone else already about the sale. The only way they were prepared to give me the desk was if I took the matching cd rack too: understandable, but not the original agreement! Upon inspecting both, the desk and the rack, I decided to pass. I didn't have a sense of Peace about it. The desk wasn't in very good shape, and the owners, well, they were idiots, I'll just leave it at that.

No comments: