Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chaplaincy Interview

This morning was my interview for acceptance into the chaplaincy program. I arrived 3 minutes late (the elevators at the hospital are .. s l o w ! I arrived at the hospital 15 minutes early but got stuck in elevator hell. Anyways, the interviewers, Phil and Phil, didn't seem to mind.

Truthfully, I'm not sure how well I did in the interview. It was long (2.5 hours), the questions were hard, but that's to be expected. It seems to me that the program is based as much on psychology as it is on theology, and to a certain degree hat makes sense. I just hope that psychology isn't overemphasized at the expense of theology.

There was one question that I didn't like. It was along the lines of "how would you react if you were called to give pastoral care to a gay couple." I think I answered the question well enough, but inside me there was a storm going on. Why is there such an emphasis on same-sex relationships nowadays? It seems like that's everyone's hobby-horse: the issue has to be brought up at every possible event. It's like the favourite flavour of the month, and it doesn't sit well with me.

In the end, even though I felt like I answered the questions well, I left the interview wondering whether I'm the type of person they're looking for. I certainly feel "qualified" for pastoral care, but I'm just not sure that my theological convictions will be acceptable; on the other hand, I'm not convinced I can handle the theological convictions under which the program are run.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me. You've brought me to this "place". Please see me through it.

No comments: