Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mass In B Minor With Charlene

Tonight I went to see the Mass in B Minor at the Chan Centre at UBC. I'd asked Charlene to go to it a few weeks ago when we got together. It was a very good evening, especially in light of the fact that it coincided with my final day of work at Day4!

I met up with her around 7ish. We'd previously agreed to do a take-out dinner at Wendy's. Not my favourite way of dining, much less before seeing a symphony, but whatever, it was her idea and in the end it wasn't a bad one. It was my first time eating burger and fries in dress clothes in a car in a parkade!

The concert itself was decent. The TWU choir joined the VSO for the performance, and what the choir lacked in fortitude of voice, it made up in precision of tone and timing. I'm aware that I'm not a musical expert here, so pardon me if the ways of describing the strengths and weaknesses of the performance isn't up to snuff. In my opinion, either the instruments were too loud, or the choir wasn't loud enough. It's just a hunch, but my guess is that the matter had more to do with the choir than with the instruments.

Charlene was very kind with me all evening. She asked me several times how I was doing (since it was my last day of work), but also, this night was supposed to be the night Ralph sang in the choir: I'd planned to attend this concert well before the accident, and so going to it and not seeing Ralph there was tough. I'd invited Melanie and Heinz to come along but they passed on the opportunity, thinking that it was too close to home emotionally.

Charlene seems to have a very good ear for music too. It was enjoyable getting feedback from her. She's opinionated, and we didn't see eye-to-eye on everything, but we had a good conversation all around.

I also loaded up on coffee at the intermission. I know Lent is coming up, so I'm using every opportunity I have to get caffeinated...

No comments: