Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A New Routine

I went to work today, but in a very real way I experienced what it means to be somewhere only in the body. My soul and my spirit were at the hospital with Ralph and his family.

A few co-workers asked about his condition and it was very difficult for me to keep a straight face. Is it even desirable to keep a straight face? Everyone's very compassionate.

Yesterday I sent out an email to a whole bunch of people, requesting for prayer.

After work today I went straight to the hospital to be with Ralph. I read Psalm 13 and 23. I prayed the On Visiting a Sick Person prayer. I read the first two chapters of CS Lewis' Prince Caspian with him. Can he hear me? According to the nurse, "we assume that he can."

I'm shelving virtually all activities from my calendar of events for the time being. The exception is board games night, a weekly dinner with Jennifer, regular BCMC hikes with Shane, and of course, liturgy on Sunday mornings.

No comments: