Sunday, March 01, 2009

México City: Coyoacán

Today at around 7:30am I arrived safely in Mexico City, after about a 5.5 hour flight. My back was a bit sore upon arrival, but not too bad. I'm glad I've been going to massage therapy for the past month, because otherwise the flight would've been unbearable!















Looking out the window just before arrival in Mexico City:















Upon arrival at the airport, I immediately went to the taxi sitio and purchased my ticket to go to Ruth and Marty's in Colonia Cafetales. The price was $200 (pesos), about $20 Cdn, and the ride to their place was about 35 minutes long.

Upon arrival, Ruth, her mom (also Ruth), and Marty and I went out for breakfast. Virtually everything on the menu was picante (spicy), but I did manage to order something that didn't knock me out. I'm gonna have to work my body in slowly......the last thing I want is Moctezuma's revenge on day 1 of a 15 day trip!

In the afternoon Ruth and I went to Coyoacán, a very popular area in the Distrito Federal (DF). We walked through about a dozen or so streets, Ruth pointing out the main attractions, like the market area at the zócalo (central square):




































































The next picture exemplifies something that my good friend Eric pointed out to me after he visited Mexico City a year ago. He mentioned that amidst the chaos in the city (it is, after all, a city of 25+ million!), and amidst the substantial poverty, there are still many scenes that make you smile, many examples of grace, many scenes that humble you.

In his case, he'd noticed that a bunch of young boys, probably aged 8-12, were playing with marbles in a busy place, near a water fountain in a park. In my case, I noticed these young girls (below) playing in the market.

I find it strking that these girls are keeping themselves amused with 2 styrofoam cups, a plastic cup, and an empty pop bottle. They've probably never heard of Xbox or Wii, nevermind played it. I love how they're totally engaged in their activity. The youngest of the bunch even went out on her own and found her own entertainment,without cups or bottle!
















Once it started to get dark, we made our way to the metro. We needed to smake our way to the airport in time for Sanjit's arrival at around 8:30pm, and then Jennifer's, at 10pm.

On our way to the metro we walked by a hip coffee shop called El Jarocho. According to Ruth, this is the hippest coffee shop in Coyoacán, if not the city, and judging by the atmosphere she's probably right. The place was not that big, but it was buzzing with people. It was packed, and lineups were out the door and onto the vereda (sidewalk), and those who already had their coffee stuck around, sitting on sidewalk benches on a warm weekend night in Mexico City.

We also walked by the Frida Kahlo museum, which is also the house she grew up in.















There were no delays with Sanjit and Jennifer's flights. Upon their arrival we got onto a taxi, and taking the same route I'd previously taken in the morning, we made our way to Marty and Ruth's.

I'm tired, and ready to hit the sack.

Impression of the day: based on my first day in the Distrito Federal, I like this city. It has a Latin feel to it: chaotic, yet full of life.

No comments: