Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Guanajuato: Pípila, Teatro Juárez, Basílica, Ex-Hacienda

Here's a picture of my room at La Casa Dante.















View of Guanajuato from the terraza.















After a quiet morning at the terraza at Dante's, I got all my stuff together - camera, maps, sunglasses, and 2 water bottles - and went downstairs to eat breakfast at 9am. Irena'd prepared a wonderful fruit salad, as well as ham and cheese chilaquiles. The chilaquiles were so delicious, I had 4 of them! She also prepared café de olla, the same type of coffee we encountered last week in Tepoztlán. She saw how much I liked the coffee, so she told me she'll give me a ceramic olla (cup) to take with me when I leave tomorrow.

I'd planned to eat in a hurry, because I had much to accomplish today, but being in a hurry to get out of the house here seems a big mistake. The conversation I had with Dante yesterday upon arrival, and then today over breakfast with Irena, showed me that this household is interested in engaging with its guests, something I find quite refreshing. Today, Irena and I talked about numerous topics: the church, Mexico, culture, languages, travelling, and a few other topics, and all that, in 1 hour.

Below are a few pictures of La Casa Dante: it's certainly got a lot of character!





















































By 10:30, I was out the door, and immediately I once again saw the steep descent to the city before me.








































The first place I went to visit was the Pípila, a monument close to downtown that offers great panoramic views of the city. The route up to the monument was rigorous, but the houses along the way seemed to characterize typical Guanajuato architecture:


































































At the top, the view was even more rewarding:




























After breathing in the fresh air atop the city, I walked back towards downtown, and landed at the Teatro Juarez, considered among the most beautiful theatres in the country. It's known for its distinctive architecture of Roman inspiration, and Moorish (arabesque) style interior.




























Then I continued on Sopeña street, towards the Basílica Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato. The church was as beautiful during the day as it was at night. I went inside the church and I'm glad I did, as the Mass had just started. I sat down, closed my eyes, and prayed.















Right beside the church people were living their regular lives, selling clothing, shoes, and food, lots of food joints.















A few more pictures of the city, including the Casa Diego Rivera, the house where this famous local artist was born:










































































I'd decided earlier that morning that I wanted to spend a good portion of the day at the Ex-Hacienda San Gabriel de Barrera, an 18th century hacienda which, according to the Museum Guide of Guanajuato booklet, "is similar to an old Spanish palace, architecture which contrasts markedly with Mexican baroque style, with its indigenous influence and exaggerated ornamentation." So, early afternoon I boarded the micro bus downtown, and took the 15 minute trip to the hacienda.















































What I found particularly appealing about this hacienda was its 17 gardens. Below are pictures of some of the gardens, beginning with the Jardín de San Francisco.















Jardín Japones.















Jardín Mexicano.















Jardín Árabe.















Jardín Italiano















Jardín Español















I had a really enjoyable, relaxing afternoon, walking through the gardens, taking pictures.

I got back downtown after 6pm, hungry as ever. I'd eaten lunch at the hacienda restaurant, but that was quite possibly the worst lunch I've had during my stay here in Mexico so far, so I was eager to erase the lunch memory with a nice dinner. Sadly, the place I went to for dinner was not much better, and so by the end of the evening I was left with a bitter taste - literally - at least in terms of food.

After walking around the city for about another hour I went back to my room at Dante's, but not before attending another misa, this time at another church, Parroquia del Inmaculado Corazon de Maria. Again, I was moved by the serenity and reverence that makes up the Mass in the Catholic tradition.

After reading a little, I went to bed.

Impression of the Day: I've already alluded to a few times that I have been blessed tremendously by attending the Catholic liturgy of the Mass. I'm always especially moved by the emphasis on the Eucharist, the real presence of Christ among us. I'm always a bit sad when I'm unable to partake of the body and blood of Christ. The Eucharist - Christ's thanksgiving to the Father on our behalf, our thanksgiving to the Father through Christ, and our thanksgiving to Christ for his work on the cross - is what unites all Christians, and to not be able to participate in this unifying, strengthening sacrament is sad, to say the least.

In fact, in addition to the beauty and reverence of the liturgy, participation in the Eucharist becomes a very compelling reason to become Roman Catholic.

No comments: