Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Opening The Pages

This semester is turning out to be very interesting.

At first I hated the semester, because of my Preaching/Worship course. I thought we would talk about the theology of preaching: why we preach, what to preach; but instead, we've focused primarily on how to preach. Essentially, the course I'm in is a course on technique, and if there's one thing I'm sceptical in a church it's technique.

But things are getting better. My first sermon's over with, and I was truly humbled by the response of my classmates. They were so encouraging, so supportive. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my attitude....

On another note, I've loved immersing myself in Scripture this semester. I've been reading a lot of Scripture, not just for my classes, but also in my personal time, and for the small group Bible Study that I lead on Tuesday nights.

I'm just amazed at the richness of the Bible. As my Preaching/Worship prof says, "Jesus encounters us in every page of Scripture", and I've found that to be so true. Whether it's in the creation account or in the narratives of Abraham and the Patriarchs in Genesis, the Psalms of praise or lament, prophecies of Isaiah, the gospels, the Pauline epistles, or the apocalyptic visions in Revelation, Jesus is already there, waiting for us, promising to meet us everytime we open the pages of Scripture.

No comments: